Black People Meet Review
Cost - 85%
Features - 60%
Layout - 60%
Search - 35%
User Base - 80%
Ready to read a Black People Meet review from someone that’s actually used the site before? Read on, or, scroll down to add your own experiences in the comments.
Who Uses Black People Meet?
FindTheData says that Black People Meet gets 2.6 million visitors a month, placing it at #17 on the top online dating websites list. 58% of the members are female, and the 3-month membership is 13% less than the average dating site. 84% of the site are black singles, and 61% are between 35-54. 64% make less than $49,999 a year, and most (58%) don’t have children.
Sign Up Process
A little bit longer to sign up with Black People Meet than with most dating sites. About 10 pages of questions (all short pages, I assure you), and then you need to fill out some profile questions. I did as little as possible, which got me through everything, start to finish, in about 5 minutes. I’m told I filled out 12% of my profile in that time frame.
Look and Feel
There’s a lot going on at Black People Meet – so much so that I was a bit overwhelmed when I logged in for the first time.
The first thing that caught my eye was “Tokens”, with an exclamation mark next to it. By clicking on it, I’m shown I can spend 20 tokens to get a message when a special someone logs in within the next seven days, or 6 days of activity on my profile in the next 60 minutes for the same amount. How much are these tokens? Uh…
A few minutes later, I’ve found where to buy the Tokens (Settings –> Tokens): $0.99 for 25, $3.99 for 110, or $9.99 for 280.
There’s a search button along the top of the page, however there are quite a few flashy bits (that ended up being ads) where I thought initially they were search options.
The search features are pretty standard here, if not lacking a bit with a free account. The default (for women, anyway) is +/- 10 years “near” my zip or postal code, but I’m not sure what “near” means. (It seems to be about 25km). Switching to filter by “Distance” however, didn’t change anything – which was odd considering there were other members closer to me in search but further down the line.
You can also search by Activity, New Members, and Members Online – but I kept on seeing the same three gents at the top, no matter what filter I used. I couldn’t seem to find a profile that said they were online longer ago than, “Yesterday”.
While looking around to write this Black People Meet review, I was offered a discount for “the next 7 minutes,” that counted down in front of me:
- $2.47 a week for 6 months (billed in one payment of $59.35);
- $2.92 a week for 3 months (billed in one payment of $35.07);
- $3.77 a week for 1 month (billed in one payment of $15.08).
Once I left the timer to run out though, the wording changed to “10% off for today only”.
The Fine Print
Yes, yes, we all read the fine print on every dating site we join. I know. Just in case you don’t, here’s what you need to know:
- Members on Black People Meet might come from one of the other People Media network of dating sites (basically, they all share a database of members);
- By signing up with the service, you’re stating that you’re over 18, single and/or separated, and haven’t ever been convicted of a felony or require registration as a sexual offender with any entity;
- There are no refunds given for any reason, at any time;
- Cancelling your membership does not mean that you cancel your subscription;
- Anything you post to the site, you’re allocating the copyright to People Media to use as they see fit (say, as advertising or marketing materials);
- “Your subscription will continue indefinitely until cancelled by you”.
The Bottom Line On This Black People Meet Review
There are a lot of ads on Black People Meet, but with a lower cost than most pay-per-use dating sites, it might be worth it to pay to get rid of the ads. Lots of members (oodles in my area, anyway) although kinda less-than-favorable search options. It’s really a hit or miss here for me to recommend or not. If you like someone you see on the site, and there are lots in your area? I’d recommend it. Otherwise, I’d pass.
Ready to try Black People Meet? Sign up now. Have you used the site? I’d love it if you scrolled down and shared your own Black People Meet review in the comments.